Sydney Conservatorium of Music
|People:||Budget: $145 Million|
In 1915, the NSW Government Architect Seymour Wells built a Conservatorium of Music in a stables building designed by celebrated colonial architect Francis Greenway. In the most recent redevelopment Jackson Architecture has designed new facilities for the Conservatorium, and the Conservatorium High School.
Adopting a sympathetic yet decisive response, 1960s additions were removed and the c1820 Government Stables building revealed by partially submerging the new campus facilities. Heritage sensitivity balanced with a design solution that responds to the demands of a modern conservatorium.
The Concert Hall, 270 seat music workshop, twin recitals halls, and some 130 practice rooms now sit beneath the landscape parterres of a reconstructed section of the Botanic Gardens. A dramatic three-storey foyer space cuts into the sandstone of the site to link the old and the new facilities.
In association with NSW Government Architect.