Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
|People:||Budget: $11.4 Million|
The new East Wing Redevelopment for the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons connects the new administration offices and surgical skills/education centre facility to the existing 1935 building.
The new building replaces the existing Great Hall which stood on the site opened by Lord Casey, the then Governor-General, in 1965. Unfortunately, the Great Hall became structurally unstable and contained asbestos particles. The decision was made in 2002 to demolish this building and set about creating what we have today. The new building sits a-top a bluestone clad plinth at the base, and rises 3 storeys above ground, expressing the vertical metallic white coloured columns rhythmically located along the perimeter creating a colonade effect. The bulk of the building appears as a monolithic structure. The north facade has a large punched television screen window opening out to the gardens and exposing the internal function of the building to passers-by.